In this review we will be focussing on the Polar Loop Activity Tracker. We will going over many of this device’s excellent features. Then we will discuss the benefits of those features and how they can help you achieve your lifetime fitness and lifestyle goals. Based on user feedback, this review will also look at any shortcomings this product may have and compare it with some of the other fitness trackers available, to see how it measures up.
The Polar brand has been in the fitness electronics business a long time. They have been making heart rate straps and monitors for years, so they know a thing or two about wearable technology. The Polar Loop Activity Tracker is one of the latest additions to the growing field of fitness wristbands available in the marketplace today.
Overview, Critique and Comparisons
The Polar Loop fitness wristband provides you the motivation to keep up your activity levels during the day. Just pop it on your wrist and every activity you do, whether it’s walking or bicycling – or even mundane things like cleaning, is captured by this versatile device. With the press of a button it will show you your total activity, daily targets and the number of calories burned, all on its snazzy 85 LED display. It will even give the time of day.
You can connect the device to a dedicated app with Bluetooth and sync your daily data to your computer or smartphone via the included USB adapter. It features an inactivity feature, which will remind you to get up have a stretch or a walk, if you’ve been idle for too long. It’s been shown that long periods of inactivity can reduce the fat-burning enzymes necessary for keeping maintaining a healthy weight.
When tracking everyday activity it monitors not just traditional exercises like running and swimming, but even ordinary everyday things like washing the car, or mowing the lawn, which after all are other forms of activity. Compared to many other fitness wristbands available, some of which are essentially just glorified pedometers, this is a pretty powerful feature.
When it’s time for bed, the Loop can gauge your sleep and tell you how well you’ve rested. Getting enough rest is essential to building and maintaining long-term well-being.
Unlike other wristbands, this device has a very bright bank of LED’s to immediately relay information about your stats, on you wrist, without resorting to reaching for, or carrying about your smartphone, to view those results. This is great, it means you aren’t carrying extra equipment about when your active. How many horror stories have you heard of people accidentally dropping and breaking their smartphones whilst out and about, exercising?
Due to its pedigree, the Loop unit comes with the ability to monitor your heart rate too, via the optional Polar H6 or H7 Bluetooth Smart heart rate sensor, a fitness device which straps to your chest with an elasticised band. Combined with the Polar H6/H7 unit, the tracker can measure your heart rate under almost all conditions, except whilst swimming.
Ok, so what are some of the major drawbacks of this unit, according to people who’ve used it?
- The Loop has a one-size fits all wristband that needs to be cut to size, which is not that difficult to do, however it can be a bit nerve-wracking. A benefit though is that it then remains nicely secured to your wrist at all times. Other products use buckle and clasps and these are sometimes prone to coming undone during periods of strenuous activity.
- Due to its 85 LED readout, the unit, although it tells the time, definitely does not look like a traditional watch, more like a sturdy bracelet.
- The bundled software is not as user friendly as it could be, but is still adequate for the job of displaying and analysing your stats.
- It needs frequent recharging, about once every five days, which is ok, but on the low end of the scale compared to some of its competitors.
What are some of the Features of the Polar Loop Activity Tracker?
- Worn on your wrist, tracks your activity 24/7 and provides guidance and motivation to reach your activity goals
- Shows daily activity, calories burned, steps taken, time of day and activity feedback on 85 LED display; Plus monitors sleep patterns
- Automatically syncs to free Polar Flow app and training community via Bluetooth Smart
- Custom fit bracelet is waterproof for swimming and has rechargeable battery; Battery life of 5 days in continuous use
- Provides accurate heart rate with Polar H6 or H7 Bluetooth Smart heart rate sensor accessory (sold separately)
- It tracks your progress towards your goals on the daily activity log bar
- It’s fully waterproof
How will you Benefit from these Features?
- It has the ability to monitor five different activity levels and give feedback as to their intensity. This is great as there’s almost nothing the Polar Loop can’t track!
- It very accurately monitors how much activity you’ve undertaken during the day and will let you know if you’ve been inactive for too long. Like your own drill instructor, but without the associated barking.
- To help you reach your daily targets the Polar Loop displays practical guidance like ‘walk for 50 minutes’ or ‘jog for 20 minutes’. Perfect for setting stretch goals. These will really get you moving towards your ultimate fitness aims.
- It automatically logs your sleep and lets you know how restful it was. Great for getting a handle on how much rest you’re grabbing.
- You can take it swimming and it will track your activity even then. Ideal for water-babies! If you love to swim, this may be the fitness wristband for you.
The Polar Loop keeps track of the crucial factors that affect your overall health and well-being. By providing insight into the patterns of sleeping, eating and moving it can help you, bit by bit, steer clear of behaviors that may derail your efforts at achieving total well-being. For fun and motivation nothing beats having a constant companion, gently, but firmly, edging you towards your lifelong lifestyle and fitness goals. In this, the Polar Loop excels.